The U.S. Census Bureau reports that, counting only U.S.-born individuals, there are 101,000 with an engineering degree who are unemployed, another 244,000 who are not working or not looking for work and therefore not counted in unemployment statistics, and an additional 1.47 million who have an engineering degree but are not working as an engineer.
It is a statement of fact in response to Obama’s answer to a woman who asked why her husband, an engineer was out of work and can’t finds openings. Obama stated:
H-1Bs should be reserved only for those companies who say they cannot find somebody in that particular field.
|“I smell a rat”|
Most H-1B workers are imported for entry-level jobs and trained by experienced U.S. workers who are then laid off. … Obama has made expanding H-1Bs a feature of his re-election campaign, trying to broaden the program that already allows the importation of 65,000 H-1B visa aliens annually. Some people are even pushing the ridiculous notion of stapling a green card to college diplomas, so that foreigners would automatically be allowed to stay and work in our country. Will that include the 57,000 Chinese undergraduates now in U.S. universities, most of whom were admitted on the basis of fake transcripts and recommendation letters, and are awarded college degrees for which they did not qualify? That’s another racket that should be cleaned up. Dickinson State University in North Dakota awarded degrees to 584 foreign students who did not earn them. On the day of an all-campus student meeting concerning this matter, Education Dean Douglas LaPlante wasfound dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot.
When President Obama took office, regular gasoline cost $1.85 a gallon. Now it’s hit $4.00 per gallon in many cities, and some analysts predict it could reach $5.00 or more this summer. … Misinformed politicians and pundits say prices should be falling. Our pain at the pump is due to greedy speculators, they claim, and greedier oil companies that are exporting oil and refined products. … Energy Information Administration (EIA) data show that 76% of what we pay for gasoline is determined by world crude oil prices; 12% is federal and state taxes; 6% is refining; and 6% is marketing and distribution. The price that refiners pay for crude is set by global markets. World prices are driven by supply and demand, and unstable global politics. … A major factor is Asia’s growing appetite for oil – coupled with America’s refusal to produce more of its own petroleum. … Moreover, oil is priced in US dollars, and the Federal Reserve’s easy money, low interest policies – combined with massive US indebtedness – have weakened the dollar’s value. iii… Oil speculators play a vital role, just as they do in corn and other commodities futures markets. … Last year, for the first time since 1949, America was a net exporter of fuel and other petroleum products. The best way to keep prices down is to produce more of this American oil, and import more from secure, friendly, nearby suppliers like Canada. However, our government prohibits leasing and drilling on nearly 95% of the onshore and offshore lands it controls. It is dragging its feet on leases and permits for the remaining 5% and over-regulating production on private lands. It vetoed the Canada-to-US Keystone XL pipeline. It is imposing layers of costly and unnecessary new regulations on every aspect of energy production it does not simply reject. We are losing billions of dollars in bonus, rent, royalty and tax receipts, killing countless jobs, and impairing Americans’ living standards, health and welfare. Hunting for scapegoats won’t lower pump prices. Reality-based energy policies will.